Few remember the true origins of this elemental reptilian race prior to the war of the Great Fae. Ancient lore tells of a massive army of Firedrakes under the command of Ashoreus, the Winnowing Flame of Purity and one of the thirteen Great Fae. When Lishtraka and her army of Pain Elementals defeated Ashoreus, he sacrificed himself to conceal the remaining Firedrake eggs on Midgaard. These eggs remained in stasis for the better part of Midgaardia's history but recently they have begun to hatch and the race has been reborn.
Though elemental in form, many of these young Firedrakes whisper of the path they must undertake to reclaim their birthright and unlock the secret of their past. They possess many reptilian characteristics, which become more pronounced as they mature.
This is an evolutionary race. They can go through changes at the following levels once they decide to evolve and have acquired the necessary knowledge:
Continued growth without evolving into a new form will become more difficuly until obtaining further experience becomes completely impossible.
- Abbreviation: Fdk.
- Racial Size: very small → very large.
- Racial TNL: 8333 XP → 6250 XP → 5000 XP → 4166 XP → 3703 XP → (3448) XP → (3225) XP → (3030) XP → (2857) XP.
- Well-Suited to Be: war, bod, psi, stm, pal, mon
- Ill-Suited to Be: dru, rog, bld, arc, fus, mag, sor, wzd
Firedrakes at high evolution get the largest damage mod in the game. They also get huge hp and mana. However, their dexterity is low (one less than hum at med and hi evolves) and their stealth is very bad (so bad that nightcloak doesn't compensate). Their casting at lowmort is atrocious. They cast like humans at low hero, and improve slightly at 250, but they never become super mana-efficient despite their relatively large mana pool at high evolution.
Firedrakes have to automorph, they can't morph early. Evolving removes worship and rerolls their stats, and for this reason experience boosting gods such as Werredan or Shizaga are recommended until later tiers.
|Note: racial damage modifiers in this table are not reliable numbers, they are guesses.|
Evolutions all revolve around quests. With firedrakes these start with Ashoreus.
- Level 25: Find Ashoreus in Kingdom Of The Willows (portable). As soon as you walk in the room he will talk. Nothing else needs to be done.
- Hero 1: Find Ashoreus. He will tell you to get an egg from Citadel Of Arcanists. Find and kill Ithonng. Take the egg back to Ashoreus. (The firedrake must get the first hit in on Ithonng for the egg to show up.)
- Hero 250: Find Ashoreus. He will talk to you about a friend's soul shard. Help the Hospice Director with attacks from rogue assassins (bring some big area casters) to get a contract to get the shard and return the shard to Ashoreus. (This is room "Hidden vault" accessed via a nexus that is generated when you visit the hospice director; it's a room of 9 largeish "assassin" mobs netting a trio about 3000 xp.)
- Hero 500:See Ashoreus. He will ask you to go to Veil Of Ecstasy to kill pain elementals. They're in the nightmares portion of the area (on scan as a ball of electricity). There is also Torture, father of the pain elementals. Kill all of them within a repop and get the item the drops from the last one. Give it to Ashoreus and evolve. Note that the elementals are sneaking, so you can't use where to find them, unless you have alertness.
- Hero 750: Find Ashoreus. He will tell you to seek Greigon for a challenge to retrieve an elemental orb. This is the same as Pyro Imp Evolution Quest. Bring the orb of the firmament back to Ashoreus.
- Lord 1: Bring Ashoreus the small crystal shard from Soulchar Desolation.
Deep within my Citadel located in the Soulchar Desolation, there lies an artifact from my reign. A small crystal shard containing the stolen essence of one of Lichtraka's ceations. You must find this shard and bring it to me. Once I have it, then I shall have enough power to break loose the beginnings of your own true form. Be very cautious though. My guardians will not know you for my servants they are just mindless golems.
- Lord 250: Visit Ashoreus and he will explain he needs three shards. The three shards are the first, second and third shards of fire. These are the same shards that imps need at lord 1 to evolve (Astral Dragon, Lord Imix and Nibnob mobs have them). Visit Gilliad and hand him the shards in order as he asks for them. He will give you the Orb of Flames (a key type item that you can't save with); bring this back to Ashoreus and he will unlock your next evolution.
- Lord 500: This quest parallels the Pain Elemental evolution quest, but the firedrake needs to kill Skorn.
Visit Ashoreus to start this quest once you reach or pass lord level 500. Go to Astral and start the Memory Lane run. Follow the directions until you kill a pain elemental that opens a portal (sphere on ground). Enter the sphere and proceed through a short maze until you get to the leech area. Use the 'Exit' command to progress through the rooms, to The Fate of the Elementals. The rooms to move to are in this order: The elemental Army -> rise of the dark fae -> rise of the dark fae -> the final victory -> the tide turns -> the fate of the elementals -> the fate of the elementals Kill all of the leeches within a repop (about 5-10) to spawn the pain essence ticket. Wander around until you find the room called PAIN with a gate in it. Enter the gate and go north, 3w until a dead end. Enter the door (private) and let Skorn start talking. Once he's done requesting a pain essence then give the one gotten in the previous step. This will make the room no longer private; have the group come in to help the fdk as Skorn's a bit too big for a 500 fdk to solo. Killing skorn should have him drop or loot something that you can bring back to Ashoreus. Note! The entire area after the inferno is NOREGEN. Skorn's not difficult, but if the group is battered; then a little regen can't hurt.