I like this category, but we need to put all of the areas in it, even if they're tagged in one of the other Area subcategories. --Mel 00:27, 31 Oct 2005 (EST)
- *nod* I worked my way through levels 1-10 I think, will try and add the others in order of level so as to hopefully avoid missing any.--Shadowtop 09:25, 31 Oct 2005 (EST)
I just got my hands on all of Mindesto's maps of areas. Before I start uploading them I figured I would get some consensus....should I link to them directly from each area's category page (as I have been doing) or should I create new articles "Map Of Areaname" and put the maps there? --Waite 15:57, 2 Nov 2005 (EST)
- I like the maps on the pages themselves, if there is no particular reason to have the off somewhere else. Personally, I prefer them at the bottom of the page though as it means people have to at least glance at the text info which has been added to the various wiki pages before scrolling down.--Shadowtop 06:44, 3 Nov 2005 (EST)
- I like them on the area page themselvs too, I even linked one of them as an example too. --Mel 11:08, 3 Nov 2005 (EST)
Here's my justification for putting maps on their own nodes:
- Some of the maps are huge, so depending on browser they'll either dwarf the rest of the content of the page, or you'll have to click on them to be able to make out any useful details.
- I feel that it's easier to link together the maps if they're on their own nodes. Lack of map linking is the main problem with outland.org's implementation of these maps.
- Individual map pages will be linked to from their areas, since they're in the appropriate area category, so it's not like it will be inconvenient to access the map from the area's page.
- Having them on their own page keeps the area pages from getting cluttered with too much content.
- It also allows us to have a category:maps, so you can quickly browse all the areas with maps
Unless you guys feel really strongly about this, I suggest playing nice and going along with the precedent I started. It'll be awesome when we've got it all hooked together, I promise :) --Waite 11:31, 3 Nov 2005 (EST)
- Fair enough. I liked having a visual on the area pages, but as you say, some of them are far too big and make the pages look a bit blah. I really like the links from one map page to another. Anything which makes navigating the side easier is good in my opinion.--Shadowtop 06:29, 4 Nov 2005 (EST)
I thought it was wiki policy that pages shouldn't be placed in both category and subcategory of the same branch? Yet for areas, there seems to be a consensus to do the opposite. All areas are categorised under Areas and also per level range. I'd propose this is changed to reflect the way the rest of the wiki is organized. --Llanor 03:44, 15 May 2007 (CDT)
I'm sure Waite would have the final say but I'm fine with this idea - it makes sense categorically. Then I would put a link to the Areas section on the navigation panel on the left. My 2 cents... --Ylem 10:25, 15 May 2007 (CDT)
Sounds like a good idea. Right now my autmatic wiki editing scripts aren't working very well. I'll tinker with them later unless someone beats me to the task of tidying up this category. Waite 12:10, 15 May 2007 (CDT)
Done. And it looks so clean :) --Llanor 15:04, 15 May 2007 (CDT)